Share/Bookmark

In the Community...

I was asked by Brooklyn's Girl Scout Troop to come in and give a cake decorating lesson. I suggested that we do it right before Mother's Day so the girls could take a cake home to Mom. I selected a basic design that every girl could create. The catch was there was only 2 hours to complete 17 cakes. READY? GO!

I baked all 17 two-layer 8" cakes at home. I made upwards of 30 pounds of fondant, and a massive amount of butter cream. Once I got to the school, I set up stations: fondant rolling and decorating. Due to the time, I had to fill and crumb coat all of the cakes.



I showed the girls how to roll the fondant and apply it to the cake; minding the folds and air bubbles. I then used a 6 pedal flower cookie cutter to mark 2 flowers on the cake. They were instructed to fill in the flowers with a star tipped piping bag with the color of their choice. I had premade bags of green, yellow, pink, orange and purple. Anything extra that they wanted i.e. shell boarders, bows, stems...I piped on for them. My only rule was they had to write the message (I wanted them to do that part on their own.)

Here are some pictures to the marathon cake decorating class...

This was one of the highlights thus far in my journey of cake decorating. I really enjoyed doing this as a way to  get into the community. I think that when Sugar High Cakery becomes a reality, I will look forward to doing more of this type of work in the community. Totally worth all the hard work prepping and time. 

Until next time...

CHEERS!

3 comments:

Michelle Weighill said...

The Girls of Girl Scout Troop 60773 want to thank you very much for coming out to our meeting and teaching them cake decorating techniques! They absolutely loved it! After your visit,four of the girls have decided that they are opening a bakery together when they grow up!They are talking about dirty icing and fondant and telling everyone the next "Cake Boss" showed them how to decorate cakes!!Thank you again!

Jessica Moe said...

Sean, this is so awesome. Seriously, I'm exhausted and that might be why I'm all emotional about this but it honestly made me a little teary! You're such a sweetheart. I was thinking back to my Girl Scout Days and thinking how fun this would have been.

Sean Bordeaux said...

Aww...thanks Jess! Did not think that cakes could move someone to tears...but I should have guessed it would have been you who did!! :P

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading comments! Please take a moment and drop me a note! Please add my blog to your followings too! =)

CHEERS! Sean


Sugar High Stats

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones