Share/Bookmark

What started it all...

In 2008, I started making cakes for fun. Cakes from the grocery store were going up in price while going down in quality. I had purchased a cake for Michelle's birthday from the bakery case and asked if they could write "Happy Birthday Mommy" on it so the kids could give it to her. Well, what seemed to me a simple request, turned into a major production involving the bakery and store managers. The first attempt looked as if one of our kids had actually wrote on the cake with finger paints. The bakery manager's "fix" included a thick 2 inch ribbon of butter cream icing to cover the previous decorator's abomination.

After it was all said and done, I was saddened by the lack of skill these "professionals" possessed and the poor customer service on the part of the management. From that point on, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury became the standard for all of our cake needs. 

I cannot tell you how it came to be that I enjoyed creating cakes really. I was more of a "look at that cake...I can do that!" type of deal. That in combination with the uprising of shows like Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss, and Challenge, I began to try new things. I started with plastic sandwich bags with the corner snipped off as my piping bag. I out grew those very quickly. Also I had to come up with something better for the icing. The "tub icing" is not good for decorating cakes...nor is it great for taste.

I turned to the internet. I was surprised to find that there is a virtual culinary school worth of videos on YouTube. All of my technique, has been self taught with the help from YouTube. This is also where I learned everything from making icing and fondant to fillings and making roses. This also sparked my love-hate relationship with Michael's. (They love my wallet and I hate it)

Anyways...I guess thats the condensed soup version of how this all started.

As for the cakes. Here are a few of the first documented cakes I made. There were many before this...but I never thought that this would become a career choice at the time.




Priscilla is one of our dear friends. This was a cake I made for her birthday last year. This was actually my first time making and using fondant. This was also still in my "plastic sandwich pastry bag" days. (*sigh* notice the "border") I was very proud of this cake and marked the beginning of the end, as they say.




Priscilla's birthday party was shared with another friend. This was Fabian's birthday cake. I made this one right after Priscilla's. Major lessons learned on this one!! First, I stacked the cakes then wrapped the fondant over both of them. That was a no-no. Second, the bow...hot mess...enough said. You will see in later posts that I have improved some since this monstrosity. 


I hope you enjoyed reading about the beginning of it all...I look forward to sharing all of the other cakes I have pictures of and documenting things to come...

Thanks for reading! 
CHEERS!

1 comment:

Jessica Moe said...

Well, all I have to say is that these are better than anything I could have done and I would be thrilled to have anything like this at any of my gatherings....you clearly have a knack for this even from very early on.

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading comments! Please take a moment and drop me a note! Please add my blog to your followings too! =)

CHEERS! Sean


Sugar High Stats

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones